The selection process for our 2021 Student Leaders begins next week. The details will be sent to students after I meet with all Year 11 students on Wednesday 2 September, and are outlined for parents below.
The selection process involves an interview with each boy who submits an application, followed by rounds of voting by the staff and student body. I should stress that, although the voting gives a strong indication of support, this is not an election, so all other relevant factors are also considered.
Each House selects a House Captain, and that student will be selected as a School Prefect. Approximately a further ten students will also be selected as School Prefects. Each House also selects four additional students, who are not School Prefects, to fulfill the roles of House Prefect, of which one is chosen as House Vice Captain.
Of course, there are only a certain number of School Prefects and House Leader positions available and some boys who apply will be disappointed. The process is open, transparent and fair and we feel confident that this ensures that the best candidates for these coveted positions will prevail. Helping the boys process their disappointment will be an important part of our pastoral care focus.
The key dates to be aware of are:
- Wednesday 9 September (Week 8) – application letters are to be addressed to the Head of House and handed to them in hard copy no later than 3.30 pm
- Monday 14 September (Week 9) – each candidate will be interviewed by his Head of House and another senior staff member
- Tuesday 15 September (Week 9) – House meetings when boys will vote for their House leaders
- Wednesday 16 September (Week 9) – Senior School students will vote online (24 hours) for School Prefects
- Friday 25 September (Week 10) – all leadership decisions communicated to boys
The key selection criteria will be:
- Commitment to the School’s values of truth, respect and service
- Commitment to the School
- Demonstrated leadership in the past
- Service Learning record
Students should also outline how they would use their character strengths in a leadership role. If you have any queries about the process, please speak to your son’s Head of House or me at DScott@stpeters.sa.edu.au.
Pro deo et Patria
Head of Senior Years