Year 11 students will shortly receive information regarding applications for Student Leadership positions in 2019. Each House will have a House Captain, who also acts a School Prefect. In addition to the ten House Captains, a further 4-6 School Prefects are chosen to work as Prefects responsible for Service or to specifically work with the Middle Years students. Working with each House Captain is a Vice-Captain and two other House Prefects.
The selection process involves an interview for each boy who makes an application with their Head of House and one other senior member of staff. Votes by staff and the student body will also be considered. I should stress that, although the voting gives a strong indication of support, this is not an election, so all other relevant factors will be considered.
Key dates to be aware of are:
- Wednesday 12 September (Week 8) – application letters are to be addressed to the student’s Head of House and handed to them in hard copy no later than 4pm
- Monday 17 and Tuesday 18 September (Week 9) – each candidate will be interviewed by his Head of House and another staff member
- Wednesday 19 September (Week 9) – extended House meetings where boys will vote for their House Leaders
- Thursday 20 September (Week 9) – Years 10 and 11 students will vote online (24 hours) for School Prefects
- Friday 28 September (Week 10) – all leadership decisions will be communicated to boys
Key selection criteria for leadership positions in 2019 include:
- Commitment to the School’s values
- Commitment to the School
- Demonstrated leadership in the past
- Service Learning record
- Which character strengths the applicant will bring to the role
Unfortunately, due to the number of School Prefect and House Leader positions available, some boys who apply will be disappointed. The process however is open, transparent and fair and we feel confident that this ensures the best candidates for these coveted positions will prevail. Helping the boys to deal with their disappointment will be an important part of our pastoral care focus.
Mr David Scott
Head of Senior Years