Senior School Houses

We provide a safe, inclusive and engaging learning environment and we are a world leader in wellbeing and positive education.

The House system is integral to the School’s approach to pastoral care and provides many opportunities to participate in annual traditions and community activities, enhancing a sense of belonging and camaraderie. The House tradition is strong and thriving throughout the School.

In Years 7 and 8, boys are placed in mentor classes with other boys from their year level. Their Year Level Coordinator, Mentor Teacher and the Head of Middle Years work together to support each student.

In Years 9 to 12, boys are organised into smaller groups across the four year levels under the care of a House Mentor. The Head of House, Mentor and Head of Senior Years take a collaborative approach in guiding and supporting the boys.

The aim of the House system is to:

  • Increase the positive influence of the School on a boy’s character
  • Help boys meet their responsibilities in their studies, School activities and the wider community
  • Instill the lasting virtues of courage, honesty, decency and loyalty
  • Foster a School spirit that expresses itself in positive relationships
  • Discover and recognise the talents of each boy
  • Help students with any problems that may arise
  • Provide academic, moral, social and emotional support and guidance

There are ten Houses in the Senior School, including a specific House for boarders. All students are placed into a House, which is led and guided by a Head of House. Houses are a fundamental part of life at Saints and promote social, academic, spiritual and emotional wellbeing. Friendships formed by boys during House activities often last a lifetime.

  • Da Costa House

    Da Costa House was founded in 1920 and takes its name from one of the School’s great benefactors, Benjamin Mendes Da Costa.

  • Farr House

    Farr House was established in 1987 and is named after the School's second headmaster, Canon George Farr.

  • Farrell House

    Dean Farrell was a great benefactor to St Peter’s College and a House was named in his honour in 1924.

  • Hawkes House

    The House was named after George Wright Hawkes, a key benefactor of the School, who arrived in South Australia in 1847.

  • Howard House

    Howard House was established in 1963 and derives its name from Reverend Charles Beaumont Howard, the first Colonial Chaplain in South Australia.

  • MacDermott House

    In 1937 MacDermott House was established because of the increasing size of the School. It is named in honour of Marshall MacDermott, one of the principal founders of Saints.

  • School & Allen

    There have been boarders at St Peter’s College since 1848. In 2003, several Houses were merged to form School & Allen.

  • Short House

    Short House was named after Augustus Short, founder of the School and the first Bishop of Adelaide.

  • Woodcock House

    In 1937 Woodcock House was formed, and named after the Reverend William James Woodcock.

  • Young House

    Young House was formed in 1963 to cater for the influx of new boys to the Senior School, and named in honour of Henry Fox Young, the fifth Governor of South Australia and a benefactor of the School.